Thursday, February 12, 2009

Heart Day: Our February Fun Day

After a successful Snowman Day, I could hardly wait for Heart Day to roll around...and today was the day! The day, once again, made me so thankful to be a Mommy and showed me just how much my little guy loves such special one-on-one time!

Verses of the day: {and these both have another Steve Green song that we sang all day!)
A joyful heart is good medicine...
Proverbs 17:22
&
God is love.
1 John 4:8

First, I got prepared with my basket full of activities... and started the day with a fun "I {heart} U" pancake breakfast...he loved it! ...
Then, we played a fun game of memory with Valentines. Since I don't think it would have been successful to turn them upside down, we did them right side up...and he wanted to play again and again...Lightning McQueen was his favorite...
We played a fun Valentine's reading game on the internet over and over...making lots of silly sentences. And then read this precious book...and looked for all of the hearts! We found a bunch!

Then it was time to make a few special Valentines for Quinn's Sunday school teachers and for Daddy...we couldn't make many because the pharmacist was funny about letting us have too many medicine containers. Maybe we'll make them again next year!
Then, on to the good stuff...sorting conversation hearts...and sneaking a few that just didn't need to go in their designated bowls! ;) ... Nothing like a good sugar high in the morning...
Then, before bathtime, we decided to do the messy stuff. We read The Kissing Hand and made our very own! Quinn loved kissing my hand and loved letting me kiss his...maybe it'll be a new thing we do...sweetness...
After washing up, we painted over Valentine doilies...then took them off to see what we made! Quinn LOVED this...he loved painting with the big paint brush!... and what a pretty piece of refrigerator art it made...
After a bath, it was time for lunch...my favorite part of our themed days! I love preparing his lunch and watching him eat what I created! He's an even better eater when it looks so fun!...



I found this fun Valentine Pasta at World Market...

...and had so much fun with the little PB sandwiches, pretzel, cheese and olive letters, and the strawberry and pasta salad sides! Q was so excited when he saw it and immediately named the letters that he saw! And, HE ATE IT ALL!

After taking some "Heart Day" breaks, we made a fun foam frame for the fridge...I was impressed at how well he did placing the pieces after I would dot on the glue! ...And, I would tell him the letter to find, and he put it on the glue! ...We'll work on that backwards "E"...
Right before nap, we did a very "Montessori" activity...I had him use tweezers to move conversation hearts from one ice cube tray to the other. Since the tweezers required a little too much assistance, I let him do it with his fingers. He loved it...and went from red to pink and pink to red more than once! ...He did very good at putting one heart in each spot!!!...

During nap time, I started reading this book that I've been very anxious to start...and what better day than "heart day!" I got through the first two chapters and already know that I'm going to really enjoy it! ... I also hid some hearts during nap time, and took Q on a heart scavenger hunt when he woke up!
After all of that hunting, it was time for a snack...yummy Little Debbie heart cakes and heart sugar cookies...delicious and SO nutritious!? ;) {and a dinner spoiler!)Throughout the day, I asked Quinn what he loved...and here are the things he said...so sweet! He had no prompting!...
We ended "Heart Day" by reading the most precious Valentine's Day pop-up book that Mammer & Slickpaw got Q for Valentine's day...

and, by listening to one another's heart beat! It was the perfect finale to the sweetest day with my precious little Valentine!

4 comments:

Brianna said...

So much fun! "A Woman after God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George is my favorite book ever but I haven't read the mom one- on to amazon.com!

Laura said...

If I send you my kids, will you do heart day with them? You're amazing! I'm so impressed!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

oh my! what an incredible day for that little guy! I think I would have enjoyed each one of those activities just as much as him?! That lunch looked DELICIOUS. Too precious.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

You are so creative! I love your themed days...they look like so much fun!

The food you make is just too cute and so perfect for your theme.